Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sweet little Red-Head Baptist Girls & Free Fries @ Chic-Fil-A!

I was told by a couple of folks today that this "blog thing" is going to be a great thing for me in more than a couple of ways...I want to use it to keep our friends/family updated on what's going on w/us over the coming weeks/months. We have only told our family & a few close friends this news until now....some of you already know & others of you have figured it out by some of the subtle comments I've made recently. Maybe by updating you all, I won't have to tell the story over & over because it's easier not to even think about much less talk about constantly! :(

Three weeks ago my world stopped spinning on it's "happy axis" & I've done nothing more than "go thru the motions" since." My oldest son, Ryan (18) was home for the weekend from UAM where he is currently a freshman. I was dusting as he walked by on the way to the bathroom when he casually mentioned (yes - in passing, no less!) that he was joining the MARINES! I did not go into immediate "orbit" because this is not the first time "the M word" has been mentioned around here. Around the middle of his Sr. year he threw this idea around but we talked him into getting a degree first before making a decision of this magnitude that would affect the rest of his life. I began praying then that he'd stick with school all 4 years & in the process, meet & fall in love with a sweet little red-headed Baptist girl who'd steal his heart away & finally put all this pesky "Marine talk" to rest. Well that hasn't happened as of yet....but he's not SERIOUSLY going to go thru with this ludicrous idea, right? And even if he does, "we" always said it would only be AFTER he got a degree, right? So I've still got 3.25 years for that sweet little red-headed Baptist girl to turn up, right? WRONG! He did his drug test this past week. He goes to LR next Tuesday (on his 19th bday no less!) to take his ASVAB. The next day (Wednesday) he will have 2 physical exams ("Okay - cough now, soldier") at the Base in Jacksonville where he will then spend the night & sign his final enlistment papers the next day (Thursday.) And then that will be that I guess. "What is the all-fired-up hurry to do this?" I keep asking. "I just need to get it done now." he says. Why???? Are they moving & you're afraid you won't be able to find the enlistment office again? OR are they having some sort of big special this week; like "Enlist TODAY ONLY & get free fries @ Chic-Fil-A?" I just don't get it...STILL!

The reason I've not told many about this is because I keep thinking he'll change his mind & then there would be no need for me to go into the whole spill & "blubber" in front of a bunch of people needlessly. My stubborn side also tells me if i don't say it/acknowledge it then it's not real & won't happen, right? Wrong again - it appears we are getting "down to the wire" here & short of some eleventh hour miracle (or maybe another devastating 3.7 magnitude Greenbrier earthquake??) this is going to happen whether I like it or not. His dad & I have talked to him endless hours about what this involves & there are still TONS of questions he cannot answer about this journey he is about to embark on. We've begged him to talk w/an Air Force Rep. or an Army & Navy recruiter to explore all options (anything- but NOT the Marines, please??) but none doing because the Marines are the "best of the best!" (Really? I think the Army, Navy, Air Force AND Marines' pamphlets ALL say that! LOL)

So - back to present day...and of course, there's more to the story! But because this is merely a BLOG & not a 17 chapter novel, I'm going to leave you w/that info to process for now. When we meet again (right back here!) I will tell you about what comes next for Ryan & why (as his mom) this has knocked me for such a loop. In the mean time, if you know any "sweet little red-headed Baptist girls" - PLEASE send her our way! Heck, I'll buy her ALL the FREE FRIES @ Chic-Fil-A she wants!! (I'll even throw in a sandwich & drink, too!) :D
Thanks friends~

2 comments:

  1. Well for what it is worth I think the Navy (being a Navy brat, Navy wife and actually being Navy enlisted at one time) are the best of the best or wait is it the Army (being the Army mom that I am) yeah maybe it is the Army that is the best of the best. lol
    Either way you know I am always here for you and that this too you shall survive.

    Also know that I am ROFLMFAO about you blogging. How many times have I heard you say I read your blog all the time but I am not the blogging type?

    Will check back in often. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right, Tam?? LOL Actually YOU were my inspiration! LOL I thought ab everything you went thru w/Christopher when he went in & the deployed to Iraq & how i followed your blog even though we were still "divorced" @ that time! ROFLMBO I know doing that got you thru some tough times...so just call me copy cat! I can live w/that! LOL Love you!!

    ReplyDelete